Competitive Entrance Awards
"There are so many options here. You can pursue whatever you choose."
Pictured: Jasmine Tenkink, U of S scholarship recipient
Competitive Entrance Awards may be offered based on:
- academic achievement,
- financial need, and/or
- contributions to school and community life.
These awards also recognize particular backgrounds, acknowledge contributions to certain clubs, and reward achievement in music or athletics.
Scholarships: awarded based on academic achievement and may consider school/community activities, leadership or other criteria
Bursaries: awarded based on financial need and may consider academic achievement as well.
Prizes: awarded based on specific achievement (e.g., science fair project) and could be monetary or an item, such as a book.
Complete the online application for admission and pay the application fee.
Your new log-in ID and a temporary password for the PAWS web portal will be emailed to the address you verified on the application for admission within 2-3 business days.
- Open the Scholarships and Bursaries channel in PAWS
- Click Apply for Awards
The next time you access the application form, select View or modify my award applications rather than Apply for Awards.
- Select Award Year: 2015-2016 and Award Period: Fall and Winter Terms
- Choose the Competitive Entrance Awards application form
- Apply early!
- Give yourself enough time to choose references and prepare any other supporting documentation that is required.
- Pay attention to detail.
Read the Application for Competitive Entrance Awards carefully and complete all requirements. Give yourself a competitive advantage by carefully reading the directions and the entire award listing. Read all of the eligibility criteria and directions carefully. Be sure to submit all necessary supporting documents.
- Apply for as many awards as possible.
Read all of the eligibility criteria carefully. If you are uncertain if you are eligible for an award, err on the side of caution and apply anyway!
- Make changes if necessary.
You can make changes to your online Application for Competitive Entrance Awards up until the deadline of March 1. Anytime you make changes, you must re-submit your application form. The last submission you submit will save over any previous submissions. Therefore, it is important to ensure you are applying for all of the awards for which you are eligible.
The documents you need to submit for your Competitive Entrance Awards application depend on the awards you selected. After you have submitted your application, select View my supporting documentation in the Scholarships and Bursaries channel in PAWS to view the supporting documents you are required to submit.
Common required supporting documents include:
1. List of Activities
Your lists of community and school involvement, athletic ability and leadership activities should be:
- Concrete, with clear examples
- Dated, with a time-frame listed for each activity
- Unique, tailored to each award's specific selection criteria
2. Reference Letters
- Choose your references carefully.
Choose someone who can express themselves well in writing and who has known you long enough to describe your positive attributes in detail. Do not ask a family member to be a reference.
- Inform your references.
Provide your reference with lots of information about you, as it relates to your awards application. With a résumé and awards listing in hand, your reference’s letter will be stronger and more relevant. Let them know your deadline, and provide them lots of time.
- One size doesn’t fit all!
Have your references write letters specific to your awards.
- Submit reference letters with other awards documents.
There is no need to send them in separate envelopes, signed and sealed or by the references themselves.
- Proofread your reference letters.
Some references write several reference letters for different students. Make sure the letters you send describe you.
- Thank your references.
Send a thank you note, drop in and see them, whatever you like!
3. Financial Need Calculator
In order to be considered for bursaries, you must complete the Financial Need Calculator section as part of the application for Competitive Entrance Awards. You will be asked for information relating to your income, assets and extraordinary expenses. If you are a dependent student, your parent(s) or guardian(s) income tax information from the most recent tax year must be included as part of the Financial Need Calculator.
- Create one supporting documents file or bundle made up of sections for each award.
- Create a cover sheet that contains your full name, contact information (including your email address), NSID and U of S student number (if known), a list of the awards you applied for and a list of contents in your file or bundle.
- To help ensure pages do not get misplaced, put your name and NSID or student number (if known) on the top right hand corner of each page.
1. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ensure the email contains your full name, NSID and student number (if known). Including this information will allow us to match your documents to your application and is especially important if you are sending the email from your parents' account or an account that doesn't include your name.
- Do not send your documents via cloud drive services (e.g., Dropbox, SkyDrive). These will not be accepted.
- Emailed documents should be included in the body of the email or attached as a document. Attachments should be sent in .pdf, .doc, or .txt formats.
2. Drop off at Student Central or mail to:
Awards and Financial Aid
University of Saskatchewan
105 Administration Place
Saskatoon SK S7N 5A2 Canada
Office hours are Monday to Friday; 8:30am-4:30pm
Who can apply?
Competitive Entrance Awards are available to:
- students proceeding directly from high school to university; and
- students who have already graduated from high school but have less than 18 post-secondary credit units transferable to a program of study at the University of Saskatchewan.
How will my awards average be calculated?
Your awards average is calculated similarly to your admission average, considering your five best subjects, as completed by the end of Semester One of Grade 12, according to specific criteria. If you have already graduated from high school, your final admission average will also be your awards average.
What if I am offered other U of S awards?
Students are eligible to receive payment of one Guaranteed Entrance Scholarship and one Competitive Entrance Award or Best and Brightest Entrance Scholarship. If eligible to receive multiple awards, students will be contacted to confirm which award they will be accepting. Students can receive additional awards administered at the college/department level or from an external source. St. Thomas More College (STM) students may be eligible for additional awards and will be contacted when the STM awards application becomes available (usually in August).