English as an Additional Language
This program is not available to students with only a high school diploma. University credit is required before admission.
The Post-degree Certificate in English as an Additional Language Education is an online certificate program open to graduates of a Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) program.
As a graduate of this program, you will have a foundational understanding of the purpose, process and approaches to learning second or additional languages. You will be provided with instructional approaches and assessment in order to support learners with the transition from communicative to academic language related to school curriculum, in a culturally and linguistically appropriate way.
Candidates for the Post-Degree Certificate in English as an Additional Language must have:
- a Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree
- a valid Professional “A” Teaching Certificate
- one full year of teaching experience
How to apply
- If you are a current or returning student you may begin an application in the Admissions channel in PAWS.
- If you are new to the University of Saskatchewan, you will need to create a temporary login ID and PIN to begin an online application.
- When you submit your application online, you'll need to pay a $90 non-refundable application fee.
After you've submitted your online application, you'll also need to submit the following documents to the Department of Curriculum Studies via email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Valid Professional A Teaching Certificate
- Current CV or resume outlining teaching experience
In addition, you will need to arrange for official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you've attended (other than the University of Saskatchewan) to be sent to:
Curriculum Studies Department
College of Education
28 Campus Drive
University of Saskatchewan
Saskatoon, SK S7N 0X1
The Post-Degree Certificate in English as an Additional Language in Education is a 30 credit unit online post-Bachelor of Education certificate. Graduates of this certificate will have a foundational understanding of the purpose, process and approaches to learning second or additional languages. They will be provided with instructional approaches and assessment in order to support learners with the transition from communicative to academic language related to school curriculum, in a cultural and linguistically appropriate way.
The certificate will provide an analytical look at first language learning, the stages of learning an additional language, and first language delays and challenges that may impact EAL learners. This certificate fulfills the Additional Qualification Certificate (AQC) requirements for the Saskatchewan Professional Teachers’ Regulatory Board.
- required courses (24 credit units)
- elective courses (six credit units)
For a list of required and elective courses, see the Course and Program Catalogue.
Was this page helpful?
What could make this page better?
If you have any questions that weren't answered by our website, contact us.